Citizenship & Documentation

What if I’m not a U.S. citizen?

You may apply if you are a permanent resident (holding a “green card”) or have certain types of visas. Get the full list of eligible noncitizens on the federal government’s website Or call the FAFSA help desk at 800-433-3243 for more information.

What if I’m undocumented?

You can’t receive federal money. This is true for all undocumented students, including those who have been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, status. But it is quite possible you will qualify for state or local grants, college scholarships, or private money.

What if my parents are undocumented?

That’s OK, as long as you are eligible to apply for aid. At least one of your parents will be required to get an FSA ID and fill out the FAFSA with you. The new FAFSA offers a safe path for undocumented parents to get their FSA ID and fill out the FAFSA online. And any parent can choose to fill out a paper version of the FAFSA if needed.

Is it safe to fill out the FAFSA if my parents are undocumented?

Yes. Federal law protects the privacy of students and parents filing the FAFSA. The information will not be shared with immigration or any other government agency. If your parents are concerned, ask an adult you both trust, like a teacher or guidance counselor, to reassure them.