Gathering Information

What information is required to get an FSA ID?

Anyone contributing to a FAFSA will need to get an FSA ID. See our instructions for applying for an FSA ID. Students and any parent contributing to the FAFSA should have the following:

  • A Social Security card or recent tax forms. It’s important to get your name and Social Security number exactly right. Parents without Social Security numbers will be able to get an FSA ID by answering background questions.
  • A birthdate.
  • A permanent email address (not your school email address) and cell phone number.
  • A safe place to store login information, password, security question information, and backup code.
What tax information is required to fill out the FAFSA?

It’s best to fill out the FAFSA with your and your family’s tax records close at hand. The new FAFSA will automatically upload most of this information, but these tax returns should be available for reference. If you are applying to go to college in September 2024 or later, the FAFSA will be using information from the following 2022 tax forms:

  • Your 2022 1040 form, if you filed taxes.
  • Your parents’ 2022 1040 form, if you are dependent on one or both of them.
  • All attached tax schedules.
  • Estimate of 2022 income, if your family doesn’t file taxes.
  • Foreign tax forms, if applicable.
What asset information may be required?
  • Most recent bank statements listing the current value of your and your family’s savings and investments.
  • List of government benefits your family receives, such as Social Security benefits or veterans benefits.
  • Value of a second home or other properties.
  • Record of child support payments.
  • Estimated value of any family businesses.
  • Estimated value of a family farm.
Do I need the actual Social Security card?

Not necessarily, but it is important that you and your family provide accurate information. If you don’t have the cards, look at the names and numbers entered on your family tax returns. Match those exactly and you should be in good shape. If your parent is not a U.S. citizen, they may have an Individual Tax Identification Number, or ITIN. (This number typically starts with 9.) The FAFSA accepts both Social Security numbers and ITINs.